By Lisa Crewe | Posted on August 4, 2022
OptiNet China Conference 2022 was postponed due to the pandemic and has been rescheduled to August 3-4 at the Sheraton Beijing Lize Hotel.
This conference provides the opportunity to explore new optical technologies along with cutting-edge research, and new product innovations that carriers can consider adopting for future performance and efficiency requirements.
One of the topics on the agenda is coherent migrating into the data center. Coherent is considered to be an effective solution to address intra-data center applications because of its scalability, flexibility, operational simplicity, and cost advantages. Acacia’s Fenghai Liu, Director of Product Line Management, will be discussing this trend in detail in a virtual presentation during the conference.
Below are some key points that Fenghai plans to discuss in his presentation:
- Data center traffic is continuing to increase, driven by cloud computing, augmented/virtual reality, and cloud storage.
- To support this data center traffic increase, switch/router capacity and port speeds have been doubling every two years.
- In the 400G port generation, it is the first time that coherent pluggable modules with 120km reach in DWDM links can be inserted into the same slot used by the IM-DD counterparts which only need to go 2km.
- As the port data-rate continues to double, IM-DD based intra-data center solutions are encountering physical limitations such as fiber chromatic dispersion, four-wave-mixing, as well as limited receiver sensitivity. Mitigation of these limitations increase the IM-DD design complexity and cost.
- Leveraging coherent’s high detection sensitivity, high tolerance to dispersion and other impairments, coherent tailored for short distance is becoming a competitive solution for intra-data center applications, as we move towards 800G and 1.6Tbps port speeds.
Fenghai’s presentation is scheduled for August 4th at 14:00 Beijing time and is titled “Coherent Migrating into the Data Center.” For more information, you can access the full OptiNet China program at this link.
To learn more, below are a variety of resources on this topic:
- OFC Workshop: Coherent Technology for Intra-Datacenter Applications
- 400G Pluggables Usher in an Architectural Change to High-Bandwidth DCI
- 400G for Edge DCIs with 400ZR
- DCI Edge Transforming with Today’s 400ZR Modules
- Coherent Applications – Trending to the Edge
We’re excited to be sending members from the Acacia China team to attend this year. If you will be at the show and want to connect in person or virtually, we’d welcome the opportunity to meet with you. Click here to set up a meeting.